- Real Name: Dmitri Anatoly Nikolayevich Smerdyakov
- AKA: Dmitri Kravinoff, Stepan Ivanov, Dr. Turner, Professor Newton; impersonated Dr. Ashley Kafka, J. Jonah Jameson, Torpedo, Rick Jones, Dr. Henry Pym, Peter Parker, Captain George Stacy, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner, Thunderbolt Ross, Captain America, Kraven the Hunter, Spider-Man and many others
- Family: Nikolai Kravinoff (father, deceased) Sonya Smerdyakova (mother, deceased) Sergei Kravinoff (half-brother, deceased); Vladimir Kravinoff (nephew, deceased); Alyosha Kravinoff (nephew, deceased); Nedrocci Tannengarden (nephew, deceased); Ana Kravinoff (niece); Sasha Kravinoff (sister-in-law, deceased)
- Base of Operation: Mobile; formerly Volgograd (Stalingrad), Russia
- Identity: Secret Identity
- Citizenship: Russian
- Martial Status: Single
- Occupation: Professional criminal; former Soviet spy, New York crimelord
- Education: –
- Gender: Male
- Height: –
- Weight: –
- Eyes: Brown
- Hair: –
- Unusual Feature: The Chameleon’s head and face are smooth and featureless when he is not actively mimicking someone.
- Origin: Human, Mutate with the ability to imitate faces and voices, sneaky doesn’t even begin to describe the Chameleon. The Chameleon’s deadly weapon is his devious mind. Loathing physical confrontations, he gets someone to do his dirty work. Now trying to climb his way to the top spot in the New York criminal underworld, the Chameleon’s ruthless, cunning, and ever-changing epidermis could make his dream a reality.
- Universe: Marvel Prime Universe (Earth-616)
He is a man of many faces. Literally. Introduced in Amazing Spider-man #1 (1962) by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, Dmitri is the son of a Russian (or Soviet at the time) aristocrat and a servant. He would be made to hate himself with His father hated the sight of his face and his mother considered him a humiliation. The only person who tolerated him (though still abused him) was Sergei Kravenoff. To impress him, Dmitri would give impressions of their neighbors and family. He was later taken in and trained by the Finisher and would earn his name as the Chameleon.
Years later, he would steal missile defense designs and tried to frame Spider-man as the culprit. Spider-man exposed the truth. He was deported but soon returned to get revenge against the Wedhead but sending his half-brother, Sergei now Kraven the Hunter after him. Trying to gain the respect of Kraven, he would try and defeat Iron Man by disguising himself as Cap and having the two believe they attacked each other. He was exposed and fled. He would begin selling his services to others, including Hydra, The Leader, and the Lobo Brothers. He later kidnapped and impersonated J. Jonah Jameson for a while until Spider-man exposed him. He would later gain the ability to change the shape of his body.
Trying to learn of Spider-man’s identity and with the urging of Green Goblin, Chameleon created two robots of Richard and Mary Parker and sent them to pretend they were really Peter Parker’s parents. When Peter found out the truth, he beat Chameleon into a coma. He would be sent to Ravencroft Institute but would escape by taking on the form of Ashley Kafka. He would kidnap and unmasked Spider-man, learning the truth of his identity. He brainwashed Peter and then took on his identity but was exposed and beaten with a baseball bat by MJ, who recognized that he wasn’t really her husband. While fleeing, he was shot by his nephew Alyosha Kravenoff. During Civil War after Peter exposed his identity to the World, he would try and kidnapped Aunt May by pretending to be Peter, only for her to drug him with oatmeal and sleeping drugs.
After briefly joining the MODOK 11, he tried to plant a bomb in New York. Kraven’s widow later recruited him to help her resurrect her husband. He would later join with Doc Ock’s revenge plan before he died as a member of the Sinister Six. The Avengers and Spider-man defeated them. He would later try to find a dose of the Infinity Formula (the formula that allowed Nick Fury to remain young) and would come into conflict with Spider-man and his sister, Theresa Parker.
Despite being Spider-man’s first villain and one of his most regulars, it would take years before he got a figure in ML. He would get this figure as part of the Spider-man Rhino wave.
Recommend Figure: Hasbro Marvel Legends Spider-man Rhino wave – Savage Force Chameleon
- Chameleon never really had a “costume”, mostly due to the fact that his gimmick is to impersonate other people. However, he would be known for wearing suits.
- Why you need it for your collection?:
- As one of Spider-man most famous villains, this is needed for that rogue’s collection, especially since you will probably need him for a Sinister Six display.
- Does it need a remake?:
Below you will find a gallery of suits that still need to be made. I have included what I think are the possibilities of them being made. Note that these are my personal opinions and not facts. Please let me know if I have missed anything.
None at the moment
Universe: Prime Universe (Earth-616)