- Real Name: Mortimer “Mort” Toynbee
- AKA: “Brainless Gargoyle”, “Loathsome Gargoyle”, Morty, Terrible Toad-King, Toad King, impersonated the Stranger
- Family: Unnamed parents; Toad (clone, deceased)
- Base of Operation: Krakoa, Pacific Ocean, Formally Asteroid M, Earth Orbit; New Tian, California; Jean Grey School for Higher Learning, Salem Center, North Salem, Westchester County, New York; Utopia, San Francisco Bay, California; Genosha
- Identity: Known to Authorities
- Citizenship: American, British, Krakoan
- Martial Status: Single
- Occupation: Adventurer, Formally janitor, professional criminal
- Education: –
- Gender: Male
- Height: 5′9″ (1.75 m), 5′8″ (1.73 m) (formerly)
- Weight: 5′9″ (1.75 m), 5′8″ (1.73 m) (formerly)
- Eyes: Black, Brown (formerly)
- Hair: Brown
- Unusual Feature: Green skin, Elongated prehensile tongue, large toad-like eyes
- Origin: Mutant
- Universe: Marvel Prime Universe (Earth-616)
A founding member of the Brotherhood of Mutants (then known as the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants), Mortimer Toynbee, despite being one of the most regular member, he was of taken as a jester. Created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, he first appeared in Uncanny X-men #4, which also saw not only the first appearance of Mastermind and the twins Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch but also established the Brotherhood as Magneto’s answer to the X-men.
When he first appeared Toad was nothing more then a human pet to Magneto, due to his simple mind. While he was extremely loyal to Magneto, Magneto treated him like a pest and would verbally and physically abuse him. He also didn’t have many of his trademark powers, like the long stretching tongue. Instead he was a ugly mutant with the power to jump high. That all changed when abandoned by Magneto, he encountered a spaceship which help him gain extreme intelligence. As the years went on, he started gaining more powers, including his stretching tongue and wall crawling powers. His skin has changed from yellow to green from time to time. He has also recently gained a second mutation with acid spit.
As for figures, he has had only one so far with some other being based on either his movie version or his cartoon version.
Recommend Figure: Toybiz Marvel Legends Series 1 Toad
- Toad classic suit has had different designs over the year, with mostly the color only changing. Due to his treatment on the original Brotherhood, he has worn a ragged costume that make him closer to a jester then an actual teammate and despite his treatment, he kept wearing over the years.
- Why you need it for your collection?:
- This one is going to be tough. First a bit of a background on the figure. It wasn’t actually supposed to be a Marvel Legends. Instead it was supposed to be a part of a 2-pack with Movie Toad, the same with series 3 Wolverine. However, Toybiz was planning to put Thor into the first wave but they couldn’t get the figure done in time so they slotted Toad into the first series instead. But Toad was extremely short packed making him one of the rarest figures. But not only that, he is extremely under articulated with only 5 POAs. If you really want it then this is the only one you can get but I would wait for Hasbro to remake it.
- Does it need a remake?:
- Toad is my number one remake, so yes he needs a remake. if not this version, then maybe one of the ones below.
Below you will find a gallery of suits that still need to be made. I have included what I think are the possibilities of them being made. Note that these are my personal opinions and not fact. Please let me know if I have missed anything.