- Real Name: Mortimer “Mort” Toynbee
- AKA: “Brainless Gargoyle”, “Loathsome Gargoyle”, Morty, Terrible Toad-King, Toad King, impersonated the Stranger
- Family: Unnamed parents; Toad (clone, deceased)
- Base of Operation: Krakoa, Pacific Ocean, Formally Asteroid M, Earth Orbit; New Tian, California; Jean Grey School for Higher Learning, Salem Center, North Salem, Westchester County, New York; Utopia, San Francisco Bay, California; Genosha
- Identity: Known to Authorities
- Citizenship: American, British, Krakoan
- Martial Status: Single
- Occupation: Adventurer, Formally janitor, professional criminal
- Education: –
- Gender: Male
- Height: 5′9″ (1.75 m), 5′8″ (1.73 m) (formerly)
- Weight: 5′9″ (1.75 m), 5′8″ (1.73 m) (formerly)
- Eyes: Black, Brown (formerly)
- Hair: Brown
- Unusual Feature: Green skin, Elongated prehensile tongue, large toad-like eyes
- Origin: Mutant
- Universe: Marvel Prime Universe (Earth-616)
A founding member of the Brotherhood of Mutants (then known as the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants), Mortimer Toynbee, despite being one of the most regular member, he was of taken as a jester. Created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, he first appeared in Uncanny X-men #4, which also saw not only the first appearance of Mastermind and the twins Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch but also established the Brotherhood as Magneto’s answer to the X-men.
When he first appeared Toad was nothing more then a human pet to Magneto, due to his simple mind. While he was extremely loyal to Magneto, Magneto treated him like a pest and would verbally and physically abuse him. He also didn’t have many of his trademark powers, like the long stretching tongue. Instead he was a ugly mutant with the power to jump high. That all changed when abandoned by Magneto, he encountered a spaceship which help him gain extreme intelligence. As the years went on, he started gaining more powers, including his stretching tongue and wall crawling powers. His skin has changed from yellow to green from time to time. He has also recently gained a second mutation with acid spit.
As for figures, He was one of the original figures in the Toybiz Marvel Legends series 1. However, he was placed into the wave after they had problems getting Thor (of series 3) made. He was originally supposed to be part of a Movie and Comic 2-pack, but they were cancelled. It would be 20 years before he would receive a remake as part of Hasbro 20th anniversary of the Legends line.
Recommend Figure: Hasbro Fan Channel Exclusive Marvel Legends 20th Anniversary – Toad
- Toad classic suits have had different designs over the year, with mostly the color only changing. Due to his treatment of the original Brotherhood, he wore a ragged costume that made him closer to a jester than an actual teammate and despite his treatment, he kept wearing over the years.
- Why you need it for your collection?:
- You may want Toad for your X-men Villains collection, especially as part of Magneto’s first team of Brotherhood of Mutants or Mystiques. It can also be used as part of a Spider-man rogues gallery next to Frogman but not essential.
- Does it need a remake?:
Below you will find a gallery of suits that still need to be made. I have included what I think are the possibilities of them being made. Note that these are my personal opinions and not fact. Please let me know if I have missed anything.
Universe: Prime Universe (Earth-616)