- Real Name: Arkady Gregorivich Rossovich
- AKA: Red Death, Vasyliev Arkady, Red, Horseman of Wellness, Tongue of Czernobog
- Family: Vassily Rossovich (brother, deceased); Omega Clan (clones)
- Base of Operation: Krakoa, Pacific Ocean; formerly bases used by Matsu’o Tsurayaba; Red Room, Moscow, USSR; East Berlin; East Germany; Semipalatinsk Test Site aka The Polygon, Kazakhstan
- Identity: Known to Authorities Identity
- Citizenship: Russian, Soviet, Krakoan
- Martial Status: Single
- Occupation: Adventurer; former prisoner, crimelord, KGB agent, Russian mobster, warrior serving Matsu’o Tsurayaba, special “super-soldier” operative of Soviet intelligence, mercenary
- Education: –
- Gender: Male
- Height: 6′ 11″ (2.11 m)
- Weight: 425 lbs (192.78 kg)
- Eyes: Red
- Hair: Blond
- Unusual Feature: Omega Red is albino-like, with glowing red eyes and chalk-pale skin. Cybernetics and tubing are visible on his cheeks and body. Implanted within his arms are long coils made of Carbonadium, an unstable, artificial alloy that resembles adamantium but is more malleable and considerably less resistant to damage. The coils serve as a conduit for his lethal pheromones.
- Origin: Mutant enhanced through the Soviet Super-Soldier Program; using cybernetics and implanted Carbonadium coils that serve as a conduit to release death spores.
- Universe: Marvel Prime Universe (Earth-616)
The serial killer turned Soviet super soldier, Omega Red has been a constant treat to Wolverine for decades. Introduced in X-Men Vol 2 #4 (1992) by John Byrne and Jim Lee, the man who would become Omega Red was a serial killer in Soviet Russia who was eventually arrested by Interpol’s Sean Cassidy (the future Banshee) and handed over to the Soviet Union. However, instead of keeping him imprisoned, they made him take part in their own Weapon X program. Having the metal Carbonadium inserted into him, the metal began to poison him and he had to drain the life force of his victims. When the Weapon X team tried to used a Carbonadium Synthesizer to prevent this, Team X, which included Wolverine, before he was kidnapped for Weapon X, stole the device when they tried to rescue a Professor. After failing to track down the device and team, he was put into hibernation.
After the end of the Cold War, he was revived by the Hand’s Matsu’o Tsuruyaba, who lied to Red and told him that Wolverine knew where the device was. Thus he began a lifelong struggle with the X-man. When he is not fighting Wolverine or the X-men, he is selling his services as a mercenary. He has also worked with other of Wolverine’s enemies like teaming up with Sabretooth and Lady Deathstrike when Wolverine had no powers in Las Vagas and Wolverine had to wear Guardian’s armor. He was eventually killed by Wolverine when Omega Red began working for Romulus and Wolverine stabbed him with his Muramasa Blade. He has since been revived.
As one of Wolverine top 3 villains (other being Sabretooth and Lady Deathstrike), Omega Red has had a few figures over the years. Toybiz release a ML version of him in their Sentinel Series (sharing the same BAF part as Mystique). Hasbro will also release a updated version in the second wave of their Deadpool Legends (who he has fought in DP’s comics, when DP was protect a village from Roxxon’s Oil.)
Recommend Figure: Hasbro Marvel Legends Deadpool Wave 2 Omega Red
- Omega Red has rarely changed over the years. Like most classic designs it is up to the artist how he looks but usually the basic design remains the same.
- Why you need it for your collection?:
- If you are a Wolverine fan, then this is an absolute must. X-men and Deadpool fans as well as Cap, Iron Man and many others may want this as well, particularly if you want to complete the Jim Lee run of the X-men. I recommend waiting for the second wave of Deadpool one as it will much cheaper then the Toybiz one but that will work just fine.
- Does it need a remake?:
- No. Just got remade
Below you will find a gallery of suits that still need to be made. I have included what I think are the possibilities of them being made. Note that these are my personal opinions and not fact. Please let me know if I have missed anything.
John Byrne | Jim Lee