- Real Name: Danielle “Dani” Moonstar
- AKA: Dark Rider, Hela’s Dark Angel, Little Cheyenne, Mirage, Mistress Moonstar, Pocahontas, Psyche, Spellbinder, Valkyrie
- Family: Black Eagle (grandfather, deceased); William Lonestar (father); Peg Lonestar (mother); Joshua Foley (ward);
- Base of Operation: Krakoa, Pacific Ocean; formerly Xavier Institute for Mutant Education and Outreach, Central Park, Manhattan, New York City, New York (formerly Salem Center, North Salem, Westchester County, New York); 1128 Mission Street, San Francisco, California; Utopia, San Francisco Bay, California; Graymalkin Industries, Marin Headlands, California; Ship; Massachusetts Academy, Snow Valley, Massachusetts; Boulder, Colorado
- Identity: No Dual Identity
- Citizenship: American, Cheyenne, Krakoan, Honorary Asgardian
- Martial Status: Single
- Occupation: Adventurer; former Valkyrie, squad leader, and espionage agent
- Education: College-level courses at Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters
- Gender: Female
- Height: 5′ 6″ (1.68 m)
- Weight: 123 lbs (55.79 kg)
- Eyes: Brown
- Hair: Black
- Unusual Feature: –
- Origin: Mutant, granted a portion of the Valkyries power when Brightwind chose her as his rider; later restored Valkyrie powers by Hela
- Universe: Marvel Prime Universe (Earth-616)
Even when she had no power, she still was a great leader. Introduced in Marvel Graphic Novel #4 (1982) by Chris Claremont and Bob McLeod, Dani Moonstar power manifested at a young age and she couldn’t control them. He believed her powers at manifested a bear and killed her parents, but it turned out that the real Demon Bear had absorbed her parents. Her grandfather contacted his old friend, Charles Xavier, to help her control her powers. However, before she could leave, her grandfather was murdered by Donald Pierce and she was hunted down by his men. She was rescued by Karma and help Xavier rescue other mutants targeted by Pierce. Xavier would eventually take these young mutants to his mansion and would train the young mutant into a new team called New Mutants, which Dani lead as co-leader with Cannonball. She took the codename Psyche before switching over to Mirage.
As a member of the team, she would eventually be reunited with her parents after the team battled the Demon Bear and Magik free their souls. When the New Mutants where captured and sent to Asgard, Dani rescued a winged horse, who she formed a psychic link which. Because of this she was accepted as a Valkyrie. Dani would leave with the New Mutants after Xavier left Magneto in charge of them. They would go over to the X-factor and began living on the Ship with X-Terminators. During a battle involving Hela and Dr. Strange, Dani decided to remain on Asgard to help repair the kingdom. Dani would later be contacted by SHIELD to infiltrate the Mutant Liberation Front and would battle her old teammates (now known as X-force) to maintain her cover. She would eventually re-joined her old teammates after Operation: Zero Tolerance.
When Pete Wisdom joined the team, Dani left the X-Force and joined the X-men as a part-timer while she studied in college. She would later become a teacher at the school, taking on a mentor role to the young New Mutant Squad. She would lose her powers after M-Day and would be asked to leave the school by Emma Frost. After mentoring Trauma, Dani would become a mentor to the Young X-men team alongside her old teammates. While still depowered, she rejoined New Mutants, when they were officially considered part of the X-men. During Fear Itself, Dani was forcefully brought to Hel where she became Hela’s personal Valkyrie. She would later be targeted by Caroline Le Fay but beat her men and was aided by the Fearless Defenders. In an effort to find all those who were infected by M-Pox, Storm asked Dani to use her death tracking gift to track down mutants. She would eventually join a new team of New Mutants on Krakoa.
Dani Moonstar has a bit of an awkward history with Marvel Legends. She was originally supposed to be part of Hasbro Epic heroes wave as a variant of Mystique. (She was in her original New Mutants costume). All the variants of that wave were cancelled with only Sentry making it into another wave. However, Hasbro knew that people wanted her so they eventually made her a Walgreens exclusive. Not only that but if you bought 3 you could also make Karma and Wolfsbane.
X-men Squad New Mutants
Recommend Figure: Hasbro Walgreens’ Exclusive Marvel Legends New Mutants – Dani Moonstar (with Karma and Wolfsbane swappable parts)
- After Magik returned to the living, she warned that the world was in danger. Cannonball gained permission from Cyclops to form a new team of X-men sanctioned New Mutants. While Cannonball was initially reluctant to allow Dani to join as she was still depowered at the time, she proved her worth to the team. They began wearing costume similar to their original training uniform except the yellow parts formed an X instead.
- Why you need it for your collection?:
- We have been waiting a while for this figure. This is obviously needed for a New Mutants collection but also for a X-men and X-force collections. If you want to build a Native Americain collection alongside Forge, Thunderbird, Warpath, Puma etc, then you can get this for that as well.
- Does it need a remake?:
Below you will find a gallery of suits that still need to be made. I have included what I think are the possibilities of them being made. Note that these are my personal opinions and not fact. Please let me know if I have missed anything.