- Real Name: Dr. Theodore “Ted” Sallis
- AKA: Bog Beast, Giant-Size Man-Thing, K’ad-Mon of the Fallen Stars, Keeper of Illusion, Man of the Lineage, the Manny, Mr. Salad, Swamp-Prophet, Swamp-God, Swamp Monster, Swamp Walker, Teddy, Vagornus Koth, Walking Mulch Heap
- Family: Cleito, Adam K’ad-Mon (ancestors); Ellen Brandt (ex-wife); Job Burke (son); Boy-Thing (genetic recipient)
- Base of Operation: Man-Thing’s Swamp, Citrusville, Florida; formerly Omaha, Nebraska
- Identity: Secret Identity (the Man-Thing’s existence is publicly known, but widely disbelieved; very few people know that the Man-Thing was Ted Sallis)
- Citizenship: American, (presumed dead)
- Martial Status: Divorced
- Occupation: Guardian of the Nexus of All Realities; former biochemist, research scientist, university professor
- Education: PhD in biochemistry
- Gender: Male
- Height: 7′ 0″ (2.13 m)
- Weight: 507 lbs (229.97 kg)
- Eyes: Red
- Hair: No Hair ; the green strands of vegetable matter which cover much of his body resemble green hair
- Unusual Feature: Man-Thing is made of plant matter that simulates a humanoid form with claws.
- Origin: Human mutated by mystical forces and a cocktail of hazardous biochemicals derived from the Super-Soldier Serum into a Man-Thing
- Universe: Marvel Prime Universe (Earth-616)
Who would have thought that the intersection of all of realities is in Florida’s swamps. Introduced in Strange Tales #1 (1971) by Steve Gerber, Roy Thomas, Gerry Conway and Gray Morrow, Man-Thing would go from being just another one of Marvel’s Monsters to the guardian of the Nexus of All-Reality. Ted Sallis was once a researcher trying to create a new Super-Soldier formula in Florida when his lab was attacked by the terrorists group, AIM. He fled and injected the formula into himself and fell into the swamp lands. The combination of the formula and the mystic properties of the Nexus nearby fused the swamp with Sallis’ body and thus created Man-Thing.
For many year after Strange Tales ending, Man-thing was regulated to guest starring. This is mainly due to the fact that he can’t leave the Nexus for long periods of time without someone trying to take over and control it. He has a long-time friendship with Howard the Duck. He was one of the Thunderbolts that Luke Cage ran using the Nexus to help them teleport. He has recently joined a zombie Dum Dum Dugan’s Howling Commandos.
Surprisingly enough, Man-Thing has had a few figure over the years. Cause he doesn’t change his form, they are mainly done with a different artist interpretation.
Recommend Figure: Hasbro Marvel Legends Marvel Knights Man-Thing Wave Man-Thing BAF
- Man-Thing is a character that can’t change the way he looks, usually a humanoid shaped giant covered in vines and swamp-like plants. The main consistency is his red eyes and the signature nose-like root on his face.
- Why you need it for your collection?:
- Man-Thing is one of those character I really can’t recommend getting because he doesn’t really fall into one category. However, if you’re like me, you want to get as many character as you can. While TB one is nice, Hasbro’s Man-Thing BAF is much better representation of the massive character that Man-Thing is. Horror fans, Thunderbolts, Dr. Strange and Legion of Monsters needed this
- Does it need a remake?:
Below you will find a gallery of suits that still need to be made. I have included what I think are the possibilities of them being made. Note that these are my personal opinions and not fact. Please let me know if I have missed anything.
None at the moment