- Real Name: Highly Engineered Robot Built for Interdimensional Exploration
- AKA: Herbie, HERBIE, H.E.R.B., Humanoid Experimental Robot, B-Type, Integrated Electronics
- Family: –
- Base of Operation: Thirteenth Floor, Manhattan, New York City, New York; formerly Baxter Building, Manhattan, New York City, New York; 4 Yancy Street, Yancy Street, Manhattan, New York City, New York
- Identity: Secret Identity
- Citizenship: –
- Martial Status: Single
- Occupation: Caregiver of Franklin and Valeria Richards, Assistant to Reed Richards, sound mixer
- Education: –
- Gender: Male
- Height: 5′ 4″ (1.63 m) (humanoid); 2’0″ (non-humanoid)
- Weight: 150 lbs (68.04 kg) (humanoid); 70 lbs (non-humanoid)
- Eyes: Yellow
- Hair: No Hair
- Origin: Robot
- Universe: Marvel Prime Universe (Earth-616)
When the Human Torch was tied up in film agreements, they needed a new member for the F4 cartoon. Introduce in the 70’s cartoon by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and making the jump to comic in Fantastic Four #209 (1979) by Marv Wolfman and John Byrne, Highly Engineered Robot Built for Interdimensional Exploration, or Herbie as he is more commonly known as, was created by Reed Richard and Master Xan of Xandar to help search for Galactus in order to get his aid against the Sphinx. However, unknown to both of his creators, the villainous Dr. Sun planted his subconscious into Herbie, making Herbie acting as his double agent. This resulted in the death of a Space Pirate and the escape of Blastaar from the Negative Zone without anyone knowing.
Dr. Sun then used Herbie to attack the F4 and would jump into the Baxter Building’s computers. Reed managed to trap him in the computer but fearing that the villain could take over his body again, Herbie crashed himself into the computer destroying both. He would later be rebuilt and became the companion and guardian of Franklin and Valeria. However, the rise of a group looking for equal right to AI people, lead Herbie to join the revolution against humans. After the AI oppressors, Arno Stark and Sunset Bain, were defeated, he began as one of the main supporters on bridging AI and Human relations.
Despite being originally a hated character for replacing Human Torch in the cartoon, Herbie has become a fan favourite in the comics. He has seen a number of figures over the years. His first ML was part of a F4 box set. He would later receive another figure as a pack-in with Invisible Woman as part of the Walgreen’s exclusive F4 program.
Recommend Figure: Toybiz Marvel Legends Fantastic Four Box set , Herbie with Franklin Richards, Invisible Woman, Mr. Fantastic, Thing, Human Torch and Dr.Doom OR Hasbro Walgreen’s Exclusive Marvel Legends Fantasti Four – HERBIE packed with Invisible Woman
- As a machine and seen less then most, Herbie had been designed differently by various artists. However the one on the right (the Hasbro version) is the one that is more commonly used for his design.
- Why you need it for your collection?:
- This is a figure you may wanted for your F4 collection. Other then that, except recreating the Ai revolution, you don’t really need him for anything else. If the F4 doesn’t interest you, then skip.
- Does it need a remake?:
Below you will find a gallery of suits that still need to be made. I have included what I think are the possibilities of them being made. Note that these are my personal opinions and not fact. Please let me know if I have missed anything.
Universe: Prime Universe (Earth-616)