- Real Name: Dragon Man
- AKA: “Baby” (by Ligthspeed and Energizer),”Drags” (by Miss Thing), Dragon
- Family: Professor Gilbert (creator)
- Base of Operation: Camp Hammond, Stamford, Connecticut; formerly Baxter Building, New York City, New Yorks
- Identity: No Dual Identity
- Citizenship: –
- Martial Status: Single
- Occupation: Adventurer, formely property of Professor Gilbert, mercenary, enforcer, servant
- Education: –
- Gender: Male
- Height: 15′ 3″ (4.65 m)
- Weight: 6000 lbs (2.72 ton)
- Eyes: Grey
- Hair: No Hair
- Unusual Feature: Grey Scales, wings, looks like a mythological dragon
- Origin: Robot
- Universe: Marvel Prime Universe (Earth-616)
He went from a beast-like being to a gentle nanny. Introduced in Fantastic Four #35 (1964) by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, Dragon Man is an android created by Professor Gregson Gilbert. However, he couldn’t get the android to come alive. He was approached by a disguised Diablo, who used his alchemy to bring the being to life. The villain then sent Dragon Man to attack the F4 but Dragon Man became smitten with Sue (this will be a running trend with him) and kidnapped her. The F4 defeated Diablo and Dragon Man but Dragon Man would return repeatedly.
The team would later encounter him when he kidnapped Medusa, who at the time didn’t know who she was. This would eventually lead to the discovery of the Inhumans. He eventually would be given to Hank Pym, but Diablo activated him again and sent him to attack the Avengers. He was defeated and given back to Hank, who studied him in order to learn about his AI, which led to the unfortunate creation of Ultron. He eventually escaped and was found by the X-men, who kept him as a pet for a while until they sent him to live on Monster Island. Dragon Man would eventually return to help his creator in trying to “cure” Tigershark and aid Namor in recovering his kingdom.
He would then begin being used by various villains as a henchman or enforcer, battling many heroes but mainly the F4. He would even join the New Enforcers alongside other Androids. He would eventually be taken in by the F4 and was given a heightened intelligence by Reed and Valeria. He would join the Future Foundation and would, for all intent and purposes, became the young members’ nanny. He would continue to aid the F4 through their adventures like helping them restore the multiverse after the Incursions.
Dragon Man would receive a figure as part of the second series of Toybiz’s Fantastic Four Classics. However, given that the series was released at the end of Toybiz’s time with the Marvel license, the entire series became some of the hardest to find figures, with Dragon Man alone going to nearly 200$ loose at a minimum.
Recommend Figure: Toybiz Fantastic Four Classic Series 2 – Dragon Man
- The android that Dr. Gilbert created is based on a cross between a medieval dragon and humanoid being. He can fly and breathe fire.
- Why do you need it for your collection?
- If you decide to get this, you will need it for your F4 villains, allies or Members shelf. BUT like I said this is extremely hard to get nowadays at a decent price. I do believe there are knockoffs but honestly I would just wait for Hasbro to remake it.
- Does it need a remake?
- Yes. While this is extremely detailed and a good representation of the figure, it is way too short for the character, given that he is usually depicted as twice the size of most characters.
Below you will find a gallery of suits that still need to be made. I have included what I think are the possibilities of them being made. Note that these are my personal opinions and not facts. Please let me know if I have missed anything.
Universe: Prime Universe (Earth-616)