- Real Name: Dr. Henry “Hank” Philip McCoy
- AKA: Beast, Black Beast, Alter Beast, Butcher-Beast of Apocalypse, DB001
- Family: Norton McCoy (father, deceased); Edna McCoy (mother, deceased)
- Base of Operation: Mobile; formerly New Tian, California; Sinister’s Breeding Pens, New York City, Earth-295; Alley, below New York City, Earth-616
- Identity: Secret Identity
- Citizenship: American, (Assumed)
- Martial Status: Single
- Occupation: Geneticist-anthropologist; Terrorist; former Head Geneticist for Sinister
- Education: ?
- Gender: Male
- Height: 5′ 11″ (1.80 m)
- Weight: 400 lbs (181.44 kg)
- Eyes: Blue
- Hair: Grey (originally brown)
- Origin: Mutant
- Universe: Age of Apocalypse Universe (Earth-295) but currently resides in Marvel Prime Universe (Earth-616)
In the AOA universe without the guidance of Xavier, Hank McCoy becomes a cruel and twisted geneticist. Introduced in X-Men: Alpha #1 (1995) by Scott Lobdell and Roger Cruz, this Beast (both his codename and his nature) had no problem using humans for his experiments and was a loyal follower of Apocalypse, who made him one of his geneticist second only to Sinister. He experimented on mutant including Blink, created the Infinite Soldier, turned Jamie Madrox into Madri, created the creature known as Wolverine (no not that one) and gave Holocaust his armor to survive. He even turned himself into his furry form. He would remain on Apocalypse side throughout the storyline. When the X-men raided Apocalypse headquarter, Beast used a device to teleport himself into the center of the M’Krann crystal. Because of this, he manage to make his way to the Prime Universe, a few years in the past.
He used this opportunity to stay hidden and became experimenting on the Morlocks. When this reality learnt of this, he sent the Marauders to massacre the Morlocks. He escaped and was later sought by Gene Nation but abandon them when they proves detrimental to his plans. He would later seek out X-man, Nate Grey, and try to convince him to try and take over the world. He later sent Random to infiltrate the X-factor team that was led by Havok in order to kidnap the Summers man.
In an attempt to assassinate Bishop, he decided to kidnap and replace Beast in the X-men without the rest of the team noticing. He would remain posing as the normal Beast for many months until the emergence of Onslaught. He reveal who he really was to Onslaught and helped the psychic being. Shocked by this thinking he was the same Hank, the X-men eventually tracked down him down and rescued their Hank. Dark Beast was captured and handed over to the authorities. He was eventually rescued by Havok, who asked him to join his Brotherhood. They were eventually defeated by Nate Grey. Havok and a few other eventually attack and destroyed Dark Beast’s lab.
After Cassandra Nova sent Sentinels to destroy most of Genesha, Dark Beast gathered a team to loot the Ruins but was stopped by Xavier’s and Magneto’s Excalibur. After 90% of mutants lost their powers after M-Day, he was approached by his good counterpart into order to find a cure for it but instead he experimented on Cannonball’s sibling and was defeated by Beast. He was later recruited by Norman Osborn into the Dark X-men before eventually being captured and force to tell the X-force to help them cure Archangel. He went with them to get the Life Seed from his own universe. He would remain in his home dimension and tried to become the new Apocalyspe until he trick Nightcrawler to send back to the Prime universe.
There he began working behind the scenes and began a campaign to discredit and attack Cyclops and his team of renegade X-men. He made the team believe it was the Prime Beast until he was discovered to the culprit. He was believed to be dying from some sort of disease but later turned up in New Tian, where he experimented on Inhumans. He was later capture and force to help cure the Transmode Virus but experimented on children and was believed killed by Magik.
Dark Beast has being a requested from both Toybiz and Hasbro for a while, mostly because he was an easy repaint of the Beast they both did. When Hasbro announced that they would be doing a Age of Apocalypse wave, most people predicted that they would make a Dark Beast. And they did.
Age Of Apocalypse
Recommend Figure: Hasbro Marvel Legends X-men Age of Apocalypse Sugar Man Wave Dark Beast
- When Dark Beast first appeared he was sporting Beast’s grey form, with some slightly alter parts like longer main and a new pants. He would later turn blue when he swapped with the Prime beast but has constantly switch between the two.
- Why you need it for your collection?:
- If you are building an AOA shelf, then you will need this for your heroes to battle since himself and Holocaust are then only 2 villains from that universe so far. Beast collectors will need him in their collection. While not essential, you can used this in your X-men rogues shelf. Otherwise, skip.
- Does it need a remake?:
Below you will find a gallery of suits that still need to be made. I have included what I think are the possibilities of them being made. Note that these are my personal opinions and not fact. Please let me know if I have missed anything.
Archangel | Banshee | Beast | Blink (AOA) | Cable | Cyclops | Gambit | Havok | Iceman | Jean Grey (AOA) | Jubilee | Mr. Sinister | Morph (AOA) | Phoenix | Rogue | Sabretooth (AOA) | Shadowcat | Spider-man | Storm | Sunfire (AOA) | Weapon X (AOA) | Wild Child | Wild Child (AOA) | Wolverine | X-23 | X-Man (AOA)