- Real Name: Frank Payne
- AKA: Frank Schlichting, Con Man
- Family: Unnamed mother (deceased); Amy (sister, deceased); Mia Payne (ex-wife); Mia Payne (daughter); Unnamed son (by “Sandy”); Rachel Leighton (fiancée)
- Base of Operation: Mobile
- Identity: Secret Identity
- Citizenship: American
- Martial Status: Engaged (and previously divorced)
- Occupation: Professional criminal and assassin
- Education: –
- Gender: Male
- Height: 5′ 11″ (1.80 m)
- Weight: 190 lbs (86.18 kg)
- Eyes: Brown-Grey
- Hair: Blond
- Unusual Feature: Arms replaced with adamantium tentacles
- Origin: Human; eventually Cyborg
- Universe: Marvel Prime Universe (Earth-616)
He is famous for suing a superhero for damages and winning. Introduced in Incredible Hulk #212 (1977) by Len Wein, Sal Buscema and Ernie Chan, Frank Payne was a SHIELD agent that was chosen to infiltrated the Corporation by pretending to be a supervillains. He was given the suit and the codename Constrictor. However, he suffered a mental breakdown and believed he was a villain. He would go onto battle Hulk as well as many other heroes like Captain America, Iron Man and more. He would later be invited to join the Serpent Society, a team that were mostly snake theme. He turned them down and tried to get the Avengers to capture them, only for Anaconda to beat him up in revenge. He would later nearly be killed in hospital but the Scourge of the Underworld.
After recovering, he became a roommate of Titania (really Copycat) and Deadpool. He would later join the seventh roster of the Master before joining Frightful Four. After fighting Agent X, he would be recruited and upgraded by Lucia von Bardas in her revenge against Nick Fury and the heroes that nearly killed her in Latveria. After a severe beating from a drunk Hercules, he sued the hero and was awarded several millions. After being kidnapped by Arcade alongside the Thing and Nightcrawler, he help the heroes rescue the other victims and the Thing and Nightcrawler convinced him to use his money and powers for good. He rejoined SHIELD and joined their Six-Pack team.
He was recruited into the Shadow Initiative and would stay with the team when Osborn took over. He also began dating Diamondback, who he discovered was a spy for Cap but choose to keep it a secret. However, during the Siege, he witnessed her going to help Cap but believed that she left him for Cap but went with Taskmaster back to a life of crime. He would later battle Agent Venom and join another Masters team. He and Diamondback would later begin living with Diamondback. However, he was diagnosed with a terminal illness. Despite Diamondback trying to get money by working with Serpent Society (now Solutions), Frank died of the illness. He has been succeeded by his son.
Constrictor was a lesser known character that gained a bit of popularity when he sued Hercules and actually won. After that he started appearing more often. After receiving a MU scaled figure, he would receive a ML scale figure as part the first wave of the Return of Marvel Legends line, the Terrax wave.
Recommend Figure: Hasbro Marvel Legends Terrax wave – Constrictor
- Constrictor suit was designed by SHIELD in order for him to appear to be a true villain in order to infiltrate the Corporation. He would go onto wear it through out most of his career. As always, classic design was drawn differently by differently artists.
- Why you need it for your collection?:
- Given that he has battled many heroes, you will mostly need him for your Hulk, Cap, Iron Man, Spider-man or the Thing display. He will also be needed for a Master, Frightful Four, Hood’s Gang or Six Pack members. And yes, you can use him as a member of the Serpent Society, even though he was never a member but he is still snake themed.
- Does it need a remake?:
Below you will find a gallery of suits that still need to be made. I have included what I think are the possibilities of them being made. Note that these are my personal opinions and not facts. Please let me know if I have missed anything.
Universe: Prime Universe (Earth-616)