- Real Name: Unknown
- AKA: Hound, Hellhound, Death, Pestilence, Test Subject 22-C
- Family: –
- Base of Operation: Formerly Xavier Institute for Higher Learning front lawn, Salem Center, Westchester County, New York; Murderworld; X-Factor Complex, New York City; The Alley, beneath Manhattan, New York City
- Identity: Secret Identity
- Citizenship: American, Krakoan
- Martial Status: Single
- Occupation: Adventurer; former terrorist, scavenger
- Education: –
- Gender: Male
- Height: 6′ 8″ (2.03 m) (Current); 5’8″ (Originally)
- Weight: 275 lbs (124.74 kg) (Current); 150 lbs (68 kg) (Originally)
- Eyes: Black ; Yellow Eyeballs, no visible irises or pupils
- Hair: No Hair
- Unusual Feature: White with tint of Purple Skin, Black pupils, no apparent irises, yellow sclera, claws.
- Origin: Mutant later augmented by Apocalypse on his Celestial Ship
- Universe: Marvel Prime Universe (Earth-616)
Some people just want to be appreciated. Introduced in Uncanny X-Men #148 (1981) by Chris Claremont and Dave Cockrum, the mutant known as Caliban was once a member of the Morlocks, a group of mutants that lived in the sewers of New York. During the Morlock Massacre, he was rescued by the original X-factor, who then took him to their home where he joined the team. During the team’s battle with Apocalypse, who had turned Angel into Death, Apocalypse asked the team to join him. The X-factor refused but Caliban agreed wanting revenge against those that caused the Massacre by gaining enough power to do so. He joined Apocalypse as one of his Hellhounds and would later be power up to his horseman of Death.
After fighting the X-men and been beaten by Sabretooth, Caliban was hunted down by the Dark Riders. He was rescued by Cable, Storm and Domino and they helped him return to his heroic self. He was recruited by Cable into the X-force where he stayed until he began having seizures. He was kidnapped and healed by Ozymandias. He later returned to Apocalypse and became Pestilence where he attacked X-Man (Nate Grey). However, he broke free of Apocalypse and returned to the X-Force. When Hope Summers was born, Caliban was recruited into Wolverine’s X-Force to help track down Cable. However, he was shot dead while protecting Warpath. He was later resurrected by Eli Bard under Selene’s order.
Caliban isn’t a character that most people have heard about, with the exception of the appearance in the Logan and Age of Apocalypse movies. He has gotten a few figures over the years (like in Toybiz’s X-men 5″ line) but it was Hasbro that was the first to give him a Marvel Legends in his Death costume.
Horseman of Death
Recommend Figure:Hasbro Marvel Legends X-men Caliban Wave Caliban (BAF)
- When Caliban first appeared, he was a skinny, near skeleton-like, person. That all changed when Apocalypse transformed him into his Hellhound, increase his mass into nearly Hulk-like size. He began wearing this costume when he took the position of Death in the Horsemen. This is what most toys are based on.
- Why you need it for your collection?:
- Not a character I can say is needed for most collections, particularly when he is in this costume. It is absolutely needed for the Horsemen team and as an enemy to X-men, X-Factor and X-force. It could be used for an X-member though but he never wore this costume in any of those teams.
- Does it need a remake?:
Below you will find a gallery of suits that still need to be made. I have included what I think are the possibilities of them being made. Note that these are my personal opinions and not fact. Please let me know if I have missed anything.