- Real Name: Helmut J. Zemo
- AKA: Citizen V, Helmy, CV, Baron,Phoenix, John Watkins III, Iron Cross, Mark Evanier, Jim, Sock-Head
- Family: Harbin Zemo (distant ancestor, deceased); Hademar Zemo (distant ancestor, deceased); Heller Zemo (distant ancestor, deceased); Herbert Zemo (distant ancestor, deceased); Helmuth Zemo (distant ancestor, deceased); Hackett Zemo (distant ancestor, deceased); Hartwig Zemo (distant ancestor, deceased); Isla Zemo (distant ancestor, deceased); Hilliard Zemo (distant ancestor, deceased); Gretchen Zemo (distant ancestor, deceased); Unnamed Kleinenshvitz (distant ancestor, deceased); Hoffman Zemo (distant ancestor, deceased); Hobart Zemo (great-grandfather, deceased); Herman Zemo (grandfather, deceased); unnamed grandmother (deceased); Baron Heinrich Zemo (father, deceased); Hilda Zemo (mother, deceased); Heike Zemo (wife, deceased); The Kinder (various illegally adopted children); Wendell Volker (distant relation); Ms. Klein (distant relation); Mr. Fleischtung (distant relation)
- Base of Operation: Tower Zemo, Bagalia City, Bagalia; formerly Mount Charteris, Colorado; Castle Zemo, Leipzig, Germany; Castle Zemo, Sierra Madre Oriental Mountains, Mexico; Skull House, New York
- Identity: No Dual Identity
- Citizenship: German
- Martial Status: Widowed
- Occupation: Terrorist, ruler of Bagalia, 13th Baron of Zeulniz, adventurer, mastermind, would-be world savior with world conquest inclinations; former professional criminal, assassin, engineer, wealthy criminal entrepreneur
- Education: College graduate
- Gender: Male
- Height: 5′ 10″ (1.78 m)
- Weight: 183 lbs (83.01 kg)
- Eyes: Blue
- Hair: 183 lbs (83.01 kg)
- Unusual Feature: Helmut’s face has in the past been disfigured, looking like molten wax, and incinerated.
- Origin: Human
- Universe: Marvel Prime Universe (Earth-616)
Trying to get revenge for your father might not be a good idea since he was a Nazi. Introduced in Captain America #168 (1973) by Tony Isabella, Roy Thomas and Sal Buscema, Helmut Zemo is the 13 Baron of the Zemo line. His father was responsible for killing Bucky and was eventually killed in a battle with Cap. Helmut swore revenge against Cap and became the Phoenix. (No, not that one.) He fought Cap but fell into a vat of Adhesive X which terribly scarred him. He was next seen taking up the mantle of Baron Zemo. He was trained by Sin and Red Skull and continued his campaign against him.
In one of his most famous attempt against not only Cap but also the Avengers, he gather a large team of Master of Evil and took over the Avengers mansion, where the team not only beat Hercules but also nearly killed Jarvis. They of course lost when Zemo battled Cap. After an attempt to resurrect his father and trying to raise a family of Nazi, he gather a select few of the Master and gave them each a new costume and codename. When the heroes were believed killed, he used this team to pretend to be heroes as the Thunderbolts, in order to gain the public’s trust and money. The team began to like being heroes and with the help of Hawkeye turned against Zemo. After believed to have been killed by Graviton, his mind was transfer to his non-scarred counterpart on Counter-Earth but he soon return to Earth where he rejoined and lead the Thunderbolt in order to stop the Grandmaster, using Moonstone’s stone but tried to control the world and was beaten and scarred again.
He was sent back in time where he witness the rise of his ancestor and during WW1 teamed up with Union Jack (James) to battle his grandfather and later fought his Nazi father. Back in his own time, when Bucky took over as Cap, Zemo began a campaign to expose him as Winter Soldier, jealous that he was declared a hero easily while Zemo wasn’t despite his effort to change. After trying to get revenge against Hawkeye, he teamed up with Codename: Bravo and joined Hydra, where he soon became the leader of the Shadow Council. They were eventually capture by Falcon (now as Cap) and sent to Pleasent Hill, where he was made believe he was someone else. He remembered who he was and lead a revolt against SHIELD. After this, he tried to gather other escapees but was captured by Cap (Stevil). Stevil told him of his reality and made Zemo to believe that was the real world. Zemo joined Cap as his second and help take over the US. When Stevil fell, he took over the remaining Hydra cells.
If you were to ask Cap fans who is Cap’s second greatest villain, 9/10 they would say Zemo. He has been a part of Cap’s Mythos even before he was introduced in the comic, with his father being Cap’s arch-villain until his death and Red Skull’s return. But unlike Red Skull, Zemo hasn’t gotten the love he deserves in action figure form as much as Skull (no surprise there with both being basically Nazis). His first official ML was in the Winter Soldier wave where he was a swap figure with the AIM Soldier, based on his Heroic Age version. He got a Citizen V version in one of the Avengers: End Game wave.
Recommend Figure: Hasbro Marvel Legends Avengers: End Game Wave 2 Citizen V
- When Zemo began turning the Master into the Thunderbolt, he needed a identity for himself. Knowing of a WW2 hero by the of Citizen V that his father had killed, he created this identity and used the name of a somewhat famous hero, in order to gain the trust of the public. This design would later be updated and changed for other Citizen V characters.
- Why you need it for your collection?:
- The way the audience reacted when this figure was reveal says a lot about how much the know about the Thunderbolts. It is definitely needed for the original team of Thunderbolt which we have 2 other members (Moonstone and Songbird). Giving that Hasbro want to complete teams, this will be needed for that. Also can be used as an Avengers’ rogue gallery. If you have no interest in the Thunderbolts, then it can be skipped.
- Does it need a remake?:
Recommend Figure: Hasbro Marvel Legends Captain America: Winter Soldier Mandroid Wave Baron Zemo
- When Bucky took over as Cap, Zemo took offense to how he was portrayed as a instant hero when he had fought to earn the respect of people. He began a campaign to bring down Bucky, including sending the Female Beetle against him.
- Why you need it for your collection?:
- If you have to have one Zemo in your collection, then this is the one I recommend getting. This is absolutely needed for Cap collections as well as Avengers, Master and Hydra collections.
- Does it need a remake?:
Below you will find a gallery of suits that still need to be made. I have included what I think are the possibilities of them being made. Note that these are my personal opinions and not fact. Please let me know if I have missed anything.
Other ? –