- Real Name: Antonio Rodriguez
- AKA: –
- Family: Maria Bonita Rodriguez (ex-wife)
- Base of Operation: Mobile Formally Texas
- Identity: Known to Authorities
- Citizenship: American
- Martial Status: Divorced
- Occupation: Former criminal and professional wrestler.
- Education: High School Graduate
- Gender: Male
- Height: 7′6″ (2.29 m)
- Weight: 540 lbs (244.94 kg)
- Eyes: Brown
- Hair: No Hair at all
- Unusual Feature: All his body has been transformed into an orange-skinned creature with a thick hide, claws and armor plates, similar to an armadillo’s.
- Origin: Human Mutate
- Universe: Marvel Prime Universe (Earth-616)
A desperate man is now cursed with his choices. Introduced in Captain America #308 (1985) by Mark Gruenwald, Paul Neary and Dennis Janke, Antonio Rodriguez‘s wife had a deadly disease. Desparate to save her, he made a deal with Dr. Karl Malus to allow the genetics scientist to transform him into the Armadillo and serve him for a while. He first mission for Armadillo was to steal the comatose body of Goliath (Josten) from the West Coast Avengers compound which brought him into conflict with Captain America. Cap learnt of his plight and let Armadillo go in order to follow him to Malus. Cap defeated Malus and when Malus ordered Armadillo to attack Cap, Cap convince Armadillo not to in order to save his wife.
Armadillo then joined the Unlimited Class Wrestling Federation, a superpowered wrestling organization but went on a rampage after learning that his wife was cheating on him. He was sent to the Vault, intent on serving his time but during Iron Man’s attack on the Guardsmen during Armor Wars, he escaped. He was convinced to turn himself in by Vagabond, an ally of Cap. He would eventually escaped again during one of Loki’s schemes. He was sent to attack She-Hulk and during Act of Vengeance, he was controlled by Doom to attack the F4. He was sent back to the Vault where, despite a number of attempt for a massive breakout, he would remain and served his time. He was later rewarded parole.
He would find employment with the Ultimate Fighting League and gained a new lover, Daisy but later worked with Constrictor and Jack O’Lantern to rob an armoured truck. They were defeated and sent to the Raft. He later escaped during the mass breakout cause by Electro but was chained to Tiger Shark and defeated by the New Warriors. He was later assigned to the Texas based team the Rangers but was quickly fired. He would later be recruited by MODOK for the MODOK-11 team and was one of the few not to betray him. He was later seen joining the Hood gang. He was later seen being assaulted by a militia group but was saved by the Hulks. After helping Rogue prevent a prison breakout, he attacked a rodeo where Daisy was attending in order to get her back.
He was later recruited by the Owl for the Sinister Sixteen but they were all betrayed by the Boomerang. Under the employ of She-Thing, he was seen fighting the Thing. He would be recruited by Zemo as part of Hydra when Zemo promised to cure him. However, Sam Wilson, now Captain America, convinced him not to work with Hydra, also promising to cure him. This would come back to bite Sam in the butt when Armadillo began working for Malus again, gathering illegal immigrants to experiment on as Sam seemed to have not kept his promise. He growing love for Daisy and his feelings about his appearance cause him to go on a rampage. He was convinced by Daisy that she loved him despite his appearance and they agreed to go to therapy.
Armadillo was one of those character that many Cap fan knew about and believed that, because of his design, he would be hard to make into a ML. However, Hasbro revealed that he will be a BAF for the No Way Home wave. (For anyone wondering why Spider-man, well all I can think of is he battled Kaine Scarlet Spider and he is an animal themed characters.)
Recommend Figure: Hasbro Marvel Legends Spider-man: No Way Home Armadillo wave – Armadillo (BAF)
- Armadillo design hasn’t really changed since his introduction just the way he is drawn. Earlier artist drew him more rounder while more modern artist draw him more muscular. This seems to be based on a more modern artist.
- Why you need it for your collection?:
- This is not something everyone will want. It is needed for a Cap’s rogue or allies display. It can also be used to the two time he was a Wrestler, part of various teams like Sinister Sixteen, MODOK-11 and more. The only other thing you can get it for is part of an extended Spider-man, Thing, Iron man or Avengers rogues gallery.
- Does it need a remake?:
Below you will find a gallery of suits that still need to be made. I have included what I think are the possibilities of them being made. Note that these are my personal opinions and not fact. Please let me know if I have missed anything.
None at the moment