- Real Name: Julia Eugenia Cornwall Carpenter
- AKA: Madame Web, Arachne, Ariadne, Bug-Lady, Spider-Cryptic, Spider-Girl Spider-Lady
- Family: Walter Cornwall (father); Elizabeth Cornwall (mother); Rachel Carpenter (daughter); Larry Carpenter (ex-husband, deceased)
- Base of Operation: Mobile
- Identity: Secret
- Citizenship: American
- Martial Status: Divorced
- Occupation: Adventurer; former fugitive, government agent
- Education: College dropout, federal agent training
- Gender: Female
- Height: 5′9″ (1.75 m)
- Weight: 140 lbs (63.5 kg)
- Eyes: Blue
- Hair: Strawberry Blond
- Unusual Feature: Fangs, prehensile tongue, claws and small sprouts around the body when possessed by Kindred
- Origin: Human mutate. Injected with a mix of spider venom and exotic plant extracts.
- Universe: Marvel Prime Universe (Earth-616)
The Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars even was more then just selling toys. It also introduced many new characters that would become a mainstay of the Marvel Universe. Introduced in Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #6 (1984) by Jim Shooter and Mike Zeck, single mother Julia Carpenter was tricked into taking part in the Commissions experiments to create their own superhero. They injected her with a mixture of spider-venom and plant extract, which granted her the powers similar to Spider-man. Shortly after she was given the identity of Spider-woman, she was transported to Battleworld, where she was first introduced to the Marvel Heroes. She has a big impact on the wrong, even making Spidey believe that his black suit was based on her costume.
After returning to Earth, she joined up with Mystique’s Freedom Force but found herself on the wrong side of the law. She left when she help the Avengers escaped the Vault. After teaming up with Iron Man and Spider-man, she eventually met and joined the West Coast Avengers. She was one of people who quit the Avengers after they closed down the West Coast team and was one of the founders of Force Works. When they disbanded, she retired from being a superheroes to raise her daughter. However, she was eventually attacked by Charlotte Winter’s Spider-woman and had her powers stolen, which left her paralyzed. With the help of Shroud, she regained her powers and went through tough physical therapy.
During the Civil War, she took on the name Arachne and worked as a double agent to help those that refused to register. When Iron Man found this out, he gave her the option to work with the Canadian government as part of the Omega Flight team to have her crime revoked. She eventually returned to America with her daughter but was captured by the Kravenoff family, who were hunting all the spiders. She was place in the same room as Mattie Franklin and Madame Web. After she witnessed the death of Franklin, she was given Madame Web’s powers before Web died, becoming the new Madame Web. After Kraven was resurrected and defeated, she prevented Spider-man from killing Kraven. She also gave Arana her old Omega Flight costume, who became Spider-girl. She became involved with many event after that, usually as an adviser to the spiders. She used her precognitive power to predict many events such as the Spider-Island and Spider-verse arc as well as helping stop Ben Reilly attempt at resurrecting many villains and heroes.
This version of Spider-woman has falling to the wayside ever since Jessica Drew returned to the role, with many people not even knowing that was more then one Spider-woman in the main universe. (There is at least four). Figure wise, she hasn’t gotten many. Toybiz released a figure in the last series of Marvel Legends but that was just a variant repaint of Jessica Drew version. Hasbro remade her though for the Far From Home wave.
Recommend Figure: Hasbro Marvel Legends Spider-man: Far From Home Molten Man wave Spider-woman
- Jessica Drew had been out of the comics for years before it was decided to relaunch the character. But, just like Ghost Rider, Drew had “lost” her powers so they decided to create a new character. As it was the 80’s and everything was dark, they decided her costume to reflect that. It was believed that this costume is what influence Spider-man black costume.
- Why you need it for your collection?:
- Obviously this is an absolute must for any Spider-man/Spider-verse fan. It is also need for your Avengers collection, particularly the West Coast team. Force Work, Omega Flight and Freedom Force are also team that she is needed for.
- Does it need a remake?:
Below you will find a gallery of suits that still need to be made. I have included what I think are the possibilities of them being made. Note that these are my personal opinions and not fact. Please let me know if I have missed anything.