- Real Name: Robert “Robbie” Baldwin
- AKA: Baby-Killer, Bob Turner, Chatty, Kid-Killer, Masked Marvel, Penance, Speedy, The most hated man in America, Toothpick
- Family: Maddie Naylor (mother); Justin Baldwin (father);
- Base of Operation: New Salem, Colorado, Formerly New York City, New York; Thunderbolts Mountain, Colorado; Springdale, Connecticut
- Identity: Public
- Citizenship: American
- Marital Status: Single
- Occupation: Adventurer; former Government operative, student, television star, television show intern, engineering intern, lab worker
- Education: High school
- Gender: Male
- Height: 5′10″ (1.78 m)
- Weight: 170 lbs (77.11 kg)
- Eyes: Blue
- Hair: Blond
- Unusual Feature: Constantly gives off energy bubbles (as Speedball), horribly scarred from pierced wounds of armor (as Penance), also had multiple piercings across many body parts (as Penance).
- Origin: Human mutate accidentally exposed to extra-dimensional energy during an experiment at a lab where he worked.
- Universe: Marvel Prime Universe (Earth-616)
His free spirit matches his powers. Introduced in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #22 (1988) by Roger Stern and Steve Ditko, Robbie Baldwin was interning at Hammond Labs when he snuck into an experiment that bombarded with interdimensional energy. This gave him his powers and he began wearing a costume as Speedball. He would take to his hometown and battle villains. He would eventually be joined by a cat named Niels, who had similar powers to Speedball. He would later team up with Daredevil and Spider-man to stop the High Evoluationary. He would try out for the Avengers but was rejected and would later get a job with Damage Control.
He would later happen upon formation of the New Warriors, even though Night Thrasher never invited him. However, he allowed Speedball to join becoming a founding member. He would remain on the team through most of it’s runs and became close friends with Rage. He would be one of the members who turned the New Warriors into reality tv stars. It was during this time that they tracked down a group of villains in Stamford, Connecticut. Their attempts to capture these villains failed resulting in Nitro exploding near by a school killing 612 civilians, including 60 children. The rest of the New Warriors were killed except Speedball. This event triggered the Civil War. Feeling guilty at what he had brought about, Robbie punished himself by wearing a suit that caused him constant pain and taking the name Penance, joining Osborn’s Thunderbolts.
He was sent to hunt down his former teammates but would allow them to escape. He would later be brainwashed by Osborn and sent to capture the Avengers Resistance team from Camp Hammond. He would break the brainwashing and join the renegade team. After Osborn was brought down during Siege, Robbie returned to his Speedball identity and was offered a job as a member of the Avengers Academy school as a teacher. He would later take a leave of absence and went on a road trip with Justice. They would reform the New Warriors, recruit old and new members.
Speedball (and his Penance persona) have been requested by many fans for years. However, he wouldn’t receive a figure until the Avengers Controller wave.
Recommend Figure: Hasbro Marvel Legends Avengers’ Controller wave – Speedball
- This is Speedball, in his most famous costume. Like all classic versions, different artists have drawn him differently. For example, he has been drawn with or without goggles.
- Why you need it for your collection?:
- If you want to complete the New Warriors, you will need Speedball. He has been on most incarnates of the team. You may also need it for the Avengers and Avengers Academy as well as street level heroes.
- Does it need a remake?:
Below you will find a gallery of suits that still need to be made. I have included what I think are the possibilities of them being made. Note that these are my personal opinions and not facts. Please let me know if I have missed anything.
Universe: Prime Universe (Earth-616)