- Real Name: Japheth (full name unrevealed)
- AKA: –
- Family: Unidentified parents; Daniel (brother); Lot (brother, deceased)
- Base of Operation: Krakoa, Pacific Ocean, Formerly Xavier Institute, Salem Center, North Salem, Westchester County, New York; Ottoshoop, Northwest Transvaal, South Africa
- Identity: Secret
- Citizenship: South African, Krakoan
- Marital Status: Single
- Occupation: Adventurer; former prisoner, terrorist
- Education: –
- Gender: Male
- Height: 6′8″ (2.03 m)
- Weight: 350 lbs (158.76 kg)
- Eyes: Brown
- Hair: White
- Unusual Feature: His skin would turn blue when the maggots leave his body.
- Origin: Mutant
- Universe: Marvel Prime Universe (Earth-616)
He has been voted the X-men with the most disturbing powers. Introduced in Uncanny X-Men #345 (1997), Japheth was a small child that suffered from illness and stomach aches, which he was told was caused by cancer. Not wanting to drain his family already small amount of money on treatments, he left his village to commit suicide by starving himself in the desert. He was saved by Magneto who reveal that the boy’s illness was cause by his powers, 2 sentient maggots-like creature that had replace his digestive system. They would return to Japheth’s home only to find that rebels killed his father. Magneto used his power to slaughter the rebels, which caused Japheth to turn away from Magneto and refused to join his cause. It’s unknown what happen to him during the following years, but he would eventually go in search of Magneto to help him control his powers. He would meet Psylocke and Archangel in New York but they were all teleported to the Antarctic to witness Gambit’s trail for the Morlock Massacre. He would meet Joseph, a clone of Magneto, who everyone believed was a de-aged Magneto. Maggott would thank Joseph for saving his life.
Maggott would journey with the X-men back to the mansion, where he would join the team after saving Cyclops life by eating a bomb that that was planted in his chest. He would remain with the team until they discovered his true age. Beast then suggested that he should go train with Generation X, which Maggott agreed. He joined the Gen X team but left after a game hunter wanted to capture Maggott’s maggots, causing the hunter to attack the team. After the hunter escaped, Maggott left the team to pursue the hunter after feeling it was his fault that the team was hurt. He was later seen at Joseph’s funeral. At some point, he was capture by Weapon X and sent to Neverland, a mutant internment camp. He was one of the first to be executed. After that, he would be revived by Selene but was mostly seen in the background or in the crowd. He has since joined his fellow mutants on Krakoa.
“No one would ask for Maggott” is a sentence I have heard and read many times over the years. He did receive a figure in the old Toybiz X-men 5′ line. However, while now it hasn’t been fully revealed, he will be getting a figure as part of an X-men wave.
Eany or Meany?
Recommend Figure: Hasbro Marvel Legends X-men ? wave – Maggott
- Maggott has only really had only one costume through his small number of appearances. When the maggots are in his body, his skin keeps its brown appearance but when they are out, his skin turned blue.
- Why you need it for your collection?:
- This is one that many people will probably skip, given his obscurity in the comics. However, it will be need if you want to add another X-men of Gen X character to your shelf.
- Does it need a remake?:
Below you will find a gallery of suits that still need to be made. I have included what I think are the possibilities of them being made. Note that these are my personal opinions and not fact. Please let me know if I have missed anything.
None at the moment