- Real Name: William Barrett “Bill” Foster
- AKA: Bill Foster, Black Goliath, Dr. Forster (sic.), Giant-Man, Rockwell Dodsworth
- Family: Claire Temple (ex-wife); unnamed parents; unnamed sister; Tom Foster (alias Black Goliath, nephew)
- Base of Operation: New York City, New York; formerly Los Angeles, California
- Identity: Known to Authorities Identity
- Citizenship: American
- Martial Status: Divorced
- Occupation: Adventurer, biochemist, inventor, research scientist, adventurer; former circus performer, soldier
- Education: Ph.D. in Biochemistry from Caltech, D.Sc.
- Gender: Male
- Height: 6′ 0″ (1.83 m) (variable)
- Weight: 200 lbs (90.72 kg) (variable)
- Eyes: Brown
- Hair: Black
- Origin: Human mutated by Pym Particles
- Universe: Marvel Prime Universe (Earth-616)
Yeah….there is a reason that he dropped the Black part of his codename. Introduced in Avengers #32 (1966) by Stan Lee and Don Heck, Dr. William “Bill” Foster was hired to be Hank Pym’s lab assistant when the Avenger was trapped as ten feet tall. He would help Pym return to normal and later moved to the West Coast to become the head of the research and development section of Stark International in Los Angeles. Having memorized the Pym Particle formula, he worked on getting rid of the side effects and eventually used it on himself, which gave him similar powers to Pym. He would use these powers to try and trick his ex-wife, Claire Temple, into thinking that he was stuck in his giant form. He created a costume and took the name Black Goliath. He came under the control of Ringmaster and his Circus of Crime and was set upon Luke Cage, who was dating Claire at the time. When Claire was kidnapped by the Circus, Luke and Bill worked together to defeat them. Claire choose to go with Luke and Bill returned to Los Angeles.
He was reluctant to continue his superhero role but was encouraged by Pym. He would fight a number of villains and joined both the Champions and Defenders. He would join Project: Pegasus and would reveal his identity to Ben Grimm, who was also working for the Project. Bill would take on the mantle of Giant-man at Ben suggestion before later revealing he was dying of radiation poisoning following a battle with Atom Smasher. He would continue his heroics before he received a blood transfusion with Jessica Drew, due to her having the same blood type and at the time immunity to radiation poison. He would give up his heroics to recover but would return to help the West Coast Avengers. He would give up the Giant Man identity and would join the CDC before taking up the mantle of Goliath. He joined Cap side during the Civil War but was killed by a clone of Thor, Raganrok. His death would cause a ripple effect in the war causing many heroes and villains to switch sides. His nephew, Tom, would take up the mantle.
Bill is probably more famous for being killed by Ragnarok in Civil War then most of his hero career. While he hasn’t received a Marvel Legends yet, Hasbro did release a 12inch figure as part of their short-lived Marvel Universe Gigantic Battles sets for their 3 3/4inch line.
Recommend Figure: Hasbro Walmart Exclusive Marvel Universe Gigantic Battles – Goliath (with a 3 3/4-inch Ragnarok)
- After helping the West Coast Avengers for a while and taking a break from heroic, Bill would return and took up the mantle of Goliath following both Pym and Josten giving up the name. He would design a new suit that would become his signature look that his nephew would later adopt.
- Why do you need it for your collection?
- If you want to build up your Ant-man collection, you may want to get this. It would also be needed for an Avengers, West Coast Avengers, Champions, and Defenders collections. If you want to recreate the scene in Civil War, you can get this and the Ragnarok figure.
- Does it need a remake?
- Yes, if just to get it out to other people.
Below you will find a gallery of suits that still need to be made. I have included what I think are the possibilities of them being made. Note that these are my personal opinions and not facts. Please let me know if I have missed anything.
Universe: Prime Universe (Earth-616)