- Real Name: Kinji Obatu
- AKA: –
- Family: –
- Base of Operation: Formerly Uganda
- Identity: Secret
- Citizenship: Uganda
- Marital Status: Single
- Occupation: Criminal, former Ugandan Finance Minister
- Education: –
- Gender: Male
- Height: 5′10″ (1.78 m)
- Weight: 200 lbs (90.72 kg)
- Eyes: Brown
- Hair: Black
- Unusual Feature: –
- Origin: Wielder of the Power Prism given to him by the Grandmaster
- Universe: Marvel Prime Universe (Earth-616)
The first in a long line of rainbow-colored villains. Introduced in Avengers #69 (1969) by Roy Thomas and Sal Buscema, when Grandmaster was challenged by Kang, the Elder of the Universe used his powers to create a team of powered heroes, with Kinji Obatu being chosen as the weilder of the Power Prism that transformed him into Dr. Spectrum. The Squadron Sinister would battle and lose to the Avengers. They would have their memories stripped from them and returned to their own lives. However, Kinji would regain the Power Prism and would battle Iron Man a few times, with Spectrum fleeing each time.
He would eventually try and hire Iron Man as his bodyguard in his civilian identity, but this was a trap to lure Iron man into a battle. They would fight once more but the Power Prism decided to go to Iron Man as his latest host. Iron Man would battle Thor and freed the hero before Spectrum retried the Prism, He was defeated by the pair of heroes and was unmasked. He was deported to Uganda where he was sentenced to death. He instead escaped but was later killed when he fell from a balcony between him, a witch doctor, and a team of heroes including Black Panther, Thing and Brother Voodoo.
Out of all the 616 Dr. Spectrum, Obatu is probably the most famous version of the character due to his role in the Squadron Sinister and his battle with Iron Man. He would receive a figure as part of a Squadron Supreme 2-pack, which can be used for several versions of the character.
Recommend Figure: Hasbro Fan Channel Exclusive Marvel Legends Squadron Supreme 2-pack – Dr. Spectrum with Hyperion
- Grandmaster was challenged by Kang in a contest with Kang using the Avengers as his pawns. With no team to call his own, Grandmaster searched the multiverse to find a team of hero and saw the Squadron Supreme. Using his powers, he created a version of this using people from the 616 universe. Kinji would be chosen as Dr. Spectrum.
- Why do you need it for your collection?
- If you want to build the Squadron Sinister (or Supreme), you will need this as he is a core member. You can also be used as part of an Iron Man and Thor villain.
- Does it need a remake?
Below you will find a gallery of suits that still need to be made. I have included what I think are the possibilities of them being made. Note that these are my personal opinions and not facts. Please let me know if I have missed anything.
Alternates: Dr. Spectrum (Multiverse)
Universe: Prime Universe (Earth-616)