- Real Name: Bethany Camilla Cabe van Tilburg
- AKA: War Machine, Iron Woman, Beth
- Family: Alexander van Tilburg (husband, deceased)
- Base of Operation: Formerly Stark Unlimited HQ, Washington Square Park, Greenwich Village, Manhattan, New York City, New York, Stark Enterprises Headquarters, Silicon Valley, California; Stark Enterprises Building, Los Angeles, California; Germany.
- Identity: No Dual
- Citizenship: American
- Marital Status: Widowed
- Occupation: Bodyguard, Security Head, Adventurer
- Education: Taught in hand-to-hand combat, fluent in German, handling firearms and flying
- Gender: Female
- Height: 5′7″ (1.7 m)
- Weight: 125 lbs (56.7 kg)
- Eyes: Green
- Hair: Red
- Unusual Feature: –
- Origin: Human
- Universe: Marvel Prime Universe (Earth-616)
She is part of the reason that Tony realized that he had a drinking problem. Introduced in Iron Man #117 (1978) by David Michelinie, Bob Layton and John Romita Jr., Bethany Cabe was the wife of diplomat Alexander van Tilburg. When Alexander became dependent on drug and alcohol, she left him only to later learn that he died in a car accident. Believing she could have done something, she vowed to become independent and began training with the Police and Street fighters. She would set up a security firm with her friend Ling McPherson to form Cabe & McPherson, Security Specialists. She would later meet and be hired by Tony Stark, who she would later begin a relationship with. When she noticed that he had developed his drinking problem, Tony asked her for help in beating it. They would break up soon after when it was revealed that Alexander was still alive and being held prisoner in East Germany.
She would try and rescue her ex with the aid of Iron man, but he was comatose. He would recover and became dependent on drugs once more. Cabe would go for Tony’s help but was kidnapped by Stane and had her mind swapped with Madame Masque. Masque would try and use Cabe’s body to assassinate Tony but Cabe, in Masque’s body, saved him. Tony would swap their minds back and though she was still in love with Tony, she went back to her husband but later divorced him. Later she was contacted by Rhodey to help him and other beat Ultimo, with her donning MK VIII Iron man armor (The Neo-Classic armor). After beating the machine, she was offered the position of head of security.
They would rekindle their relationship, but she suddenly disappeared during the Crossing. She would later resurface to aid Rhodey, who had been transformed into a cyborg by Tony in order to save his life. She donned another armor alongside other War Machine allies in order to regain Rhodey cloned body so that he could transfer his mind into it. She would be hired by Tony as head of security for his Stark Resilient and later Stark Unlimited. At some point during the latter, she was placed under the control of the Controller, who used her to spy on the company. She was allowed to remain in her position but was fired when Arno Stark took over the company and she protested the merger with Baintronic. During the AI uprising, she would help Rescue to bring back the true Tony Stark.
We haven’t technically gotten a figure of Bethany yet, but she did don the Neo Classic armor as part of the Iron Legion to fight against Ultimo.
The Iron Legion
Recommend Figure: Hasbro Marvel Legends Vintage Wave 1 – Iron Man
- After Iron man was brutally defeated by Ultimo, Rhodey would contact Eddie March, Happy Hogan, Carl Walker, and Michael O’Brien, all of whom had piloted an Iron man armor before as well as Bethany, who he felt was more than enough familiar with the suit to help them defeat Ultimo. She would don the Neo-Classic armor.
- Why do you need it for your collection?
- You will more then likely get this for your Iron Man armory but if you want to recreate the Iron Legion, you may want to get this for that.
- Does it need a remake?
Below you will find a gallery of suits that still need to be made. I have included what I think are the possibilities of them being made. Note that these are my personal opinions and not facts. Please let me know if I have missed anything.